Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Memories Scrapbooking Expo = A Bust

That title may seem harsh, but no ... that's gentle compared to how I really feel. It was nothing like the scrapbooking convention that I attended last year. Not to mention that I've been to others and this visit just did not stack up. I plan to share this very blog post w/them.

I recently attended the Memories Scrapbook Expo in Columbus, OH. I've been to it in the past, but I don't remember it being as crummy as it was this time around. My friend said it looked like stuff from someone's basement. Not good.

My experience was not pleasant:
  • getting to the parking lot was hectic; there was no signage to point you to the expo facility
  • parking was $5; I only had $6 ... paid for parking, but told to exit the lot; huh? After that slight detour, I eventually made it to the right building
  • they would only accept cash for admission (that was not listed on the promo material)
  • bank machine in the lobby had a $4 fee
  • paid $8 to get in (had a $2 off coupon)
All that to find less than desirable goods on the floor. There was very little 'new' stuff. Scrap Happy had a nice booth with some Quickutz stuff and a few Basic Grey lines. I did not find any good 'deals'. Not even on the old, basement-y stuff.

Archivers had a booth and they were handing out literature and calendars of their upcoming events. Are you kidding me? They can do better to drive traffic to the store; they have in the past. Cord Camera was not there, which was disappointing since at least once in the past they had a booth and had really good coupons to use throughout the expo weekend.

NOTE: someone just mentioned in a craft forum that Archivers was giving out coupons for free cardstock and % off coupons. Maybe they were all out by the time I got there; it was after 2 p.m. on the last day.

There were some demos and some booths had make and takes, but ... it was just a let down. They should at least have given me a door prize for looking and feeling so woeful, right?

Whah, whah, whah ... I'm just pouty because I should have called my friend before I went to the expo. She went to the expo the day before. I forgot to call her and she forgot to call me. Now I'm down nearly $20 for a big hassle and headache and not much to show for it.

So the one good thing to come out of it was I bought a Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Components Collection stamp. I got the Tim Holtz Components Collection Ledger. Love that collection. I think that is where my next paycheck will go.

Crazy thing is I ended up going to Hobby Lobby and Michaels and spent another $40. So who's stimulating the economy ... ?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ~EssenseVibez~ said...

sorry you had to go somewhere you couldn't get inpiration gurl--i changed my mind a week b4 because of the terrible experiennce i had last year---hope it doesn't stop you from coming back to the C-O----it a nice place to live and to visit different art venues--call me next time and you can join us at our crop---cuz i'll never ever go to another expo here in columbus!--

March 29, 2009 12:47 PM  
Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Well, thanks for feeling my pain. I won't let that tarnish my view of the state's capital. Let's talk soon.

March 29, 2009 7:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole K/GothamGal said...

Wow! I'm up in the Akron area and I've gone to a few shows up here--one almost similar to what you experienced. It really sucks, and I was actually debating on going to check out the Columbus one.
Sorry it was terrible, but I appreciate that you passed on the word. Thanks!

April 04, 2009 9:27 PM  
Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Nicole ... it a terrible for me. I understand that there were many folks who were 'satisfied'. Just not my kind of thing.

April 04, 2009 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home